The main body of articles in this wiki will be dedicated to the practise of sorcery, which will be defined as the practise of operational witchcraft or results magic. In essence, the use of various methods to achieve specific effects without any material causal connection.
This is a portal page and will serve as both a description of this category, and the main menu to articles linked to from this category.
- Alchemy The act of transmuting a base substance into a higher state. The Quest for the Philosopher's stone. the Union of Sol and Luna.
- Alchemy Community Groups
- Astrology The study of the planets, constellations and stars, their position and aspects, and their influence on earthly events and people.
- Black Sun Rising - BLACK SUN RISING: Reclaim the Void! By Maximus Innominandus
- Qabala An echo of Jewish mysticism and magic that has become popular in it's modified form by the Western Mystery Tradition.
- The Qliphotic Magic A complete and collective history of theories of qliphotic shells or demons, and the varieties of conjecture associated thereto.
- Thelema The magical philosophy of the New Aeon, transmitted originally by Aleister Crowley.
- Automatic Drawing
- Astral Traveling
- Dance A method of attaining states of trance for various magical purposes.
- Divination Employing a variety of means to discover clues about the nature or condition of the self and the future. The consultation of oracles involves a medium/ priest/ priestess entering a state of trance for the purpose of divination.
- Evocation To summon forth a force of energy or intelligence unto the magician's observation and influence.
- Invocation The act of calling forth a source of energy or intelligence into the magician's body and psyche.
- Initiation The event of consecrating and stirring to action the movement of a particular event, course, or the career of a particular magician.
- Mantras Strings of words used in various types of ritual and mystic practices.
- Meditation One aspect of Yoga. The practice of focussing attention upon a fixed point.
- Necromancy Working with the dead or underworld.
- Ritual( Rites). In a magical context: the setting of specific conditions and performance of symbolic actions, based upon an understanding that symbolic actions have real power, focussed onto a specific intent, with a view to raise energy, shift consciousness, connect with different planes of reality and affect transformation. Invocations, evocations,initiations,celebrations and dedications, notably,are all types of ritual. Rituals of worship are used by all traditional religions.Sociologically, Rites of Passage: Symbolic Event marking the transition from one stage of life to another, aquisition of a new status within the social structure/ clan.
- Spell (casting) The assembly, manipulation of, and disposal of magically employed objects used to effect intended outcomes by principle related to the action undertaken.
- Sex Magic The use of energy raised by sex and sexuality for the purpose of Magic and Alchemy> The channelling of sexual energy for a specific magical intent. The sending forth through visualisation and releasing of a sygil at the point of orgasm.
- Scrying The Art of seeing into the past, future, or other reality portals through the medium of an object. Common scrying devises are: crystal, crystal spheres, black mirrors, water, stones, smoke and many more.
- Sigils Symbols inscribed by graphic and written methodology for the purpose of sealing or manifesting a particular desired outcome related to its composition and content.
- Aesch Mezareph The Purifying Fire, a kabbalistic text on alchemy by Christian Knorr von Rosenroth.
- The Book of Lambspring A Noble Ancient Philosopher, Concerning the Philosophical Stone; Rendered into Latin Verse by Nicholas Barnaud Delphinas, Doctor of Medicine, a zealous Student of this Art.
- Splendour Solis The Splendor of the Sun, a 16th century illuminated alchemical manuscript considered to be by Salomon Trismosin.
- Chymicall treatise of Arnoldus A Chymicall treatise of the Ancient and highly illuminated Philosopher, Devine and Physitian, Arnoldus de Nova Villa...
- Turba Philosophorum One of the earliest Latin alchemical texts, possibly dating from the 12th century.
- Introduction to Astrology and Its Use in Weather Prediction, Medicine, and Agriculture 1490 facsimile - possibly the oldest surviving astrological text written in English instead of Latin.
These are only a few of what is available, please see KIA Library.
Sorcerors sometimes band together in various Occult Orders, Collectives, Traditions and Mystery Schools.
Traditions and Currents
Whilst sorcery as a whole is often an individualistic and iconoclastic current, there are, nonetheless, identifiable traditions and currents. Practitioners within these traditions often employ similar terminology and nomenclature, imagery and symbols, and ritual techniques.
- Witchcraft Stregharia, Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Feri
- Tantra Conventional Indian Yogic, Vamamarga, Shaktiist, Neo-Tantra, and Orientalism
- Thelema "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." "Love is the law, love under will." -- Liber Al vel Legis (The Book of the Law) The philosophy and Magick of Aleister Crowley
- Zos Kia Cultus The personal sorcery of Austin Osman Spare seems to have formed into a current of its own despite internal resistance to formal consolidation.
- Chaos Magick
Collectives are groups of sorcerers who band together in a loose non-hierarchical formation for the purpose of cooperative workings, either for the purpose of learning from each other, to work towards common goals or both.
- KIA Us! :)
- AutonomatriX A networking chaos magic guild of those striving to discover, rejuvenate and disseminate magical ideas and technical skills with success as the only key to validation.
- Dionysian Underground a growing occultural grapevine network for individual sorcerors, witches, artists and psychonauts working with the Dionysian current, with a strong magical involvement, typically worked in clusters refered to as covines.
Throughout history, some sorcerers have formed more hierarchical structures. Even when the philosophical line of the tradition the group forms around is anti-authoritarian.
- The Rosicrucians An order of Christian Mystics and Hermeticists, whose modern manifestation takes the form of AMORC.
- The Illuminati(s) Fnord.
- The Elect Cohens A society of Cabbalists, organised on Masonic lines.
- The Martinist Order The teachings of the mystic St Martin as formulated by occultist Papus. Closely linked to the occult Neo-Gnostic Church.
- The Theosophists Various groupings drawing inspiration from the fusion of Western Hermeticism and Eastern Mysticism within the philosophy of esoteric Spiritualist Helena Blavatsky. The largest being the Theosophical Society.
- The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn The order that made popular the Western Mystery Tradition back in the 1890s.
- Aurum Solis An order specialising in an alternative Hermetic system to that of the Golden Dawn.
- Freemasons A fraternal association who are interested in Egyptian, Jewish and Christian Mysteries. Some lodges still practise Hermeticism.
- Temple of Set
- Cultus Sabbatai
- OTO Ordo Templi Orientis (Order of Eastern Templars). A pseudo Masonic order based on a fusion of Neo-Gnosticism and Eastern Mysticism, with a special interest in Sex Magic, taken over by Aleister Crowley and modified to become a vehicle for the Law of the New Aeon.
- TOTO The Typhonian OTO of Kenneth Grant. One of the various rival Crowleyan OTOs.
- OTOA An Antiqua or 'Ancient' spinoff from the original OTO, specialising in the creative Hermetic - Voodoo fusion of Michael Bertiaux. Devoutly Non-Crowleyan.
- Fraternitas Borealis A 19th Century German Occult Order linked to the famous Cosmic Circle, working the Hyperborean Mysteries, now undergoing a revival
- Fraternitas Saturni German occult order founded by Eugen Grosche in 1928.
- OIT Ordo Illumines Templi, an Illuminated Templar group in the process of formation, currently offering correspondence courses in the Western Mystery Tradition.
- EOD Various groups using images and concepts from the fiction and dreams of H P Lovecraft to contextual experimental occult work with the Other. Includes Cthulhu Mythos evolution.
- The Regency legendary & progressive coven , late 60's and 70's.
- Horus-Maat Lodge Double current Thelemites incorporating the current of Maat
- The Order of Chaos aka the Hermaphroditic Chaorder of the Silver Dusk. Creative Chaos Magic.
- Order(s) of the Black Sun
- IOT Started by Peter Carroll and Ray Sherwin in the late 1970s, an order designed to utilize the philosophies of Chaos Magic within their Magical work .
- DKMU is a loose organization made up of various types of practitioners, working with the LS and Khaos current.
- David Blank Feral Sorcerer and editor of The Oracle Occult Magazine
- Peter Carroll The father of Chaos Magic
- Anton Channing A post-chaos magic sorcerer and alchemist. Author of Kaos Hieroglyphica and webmaster of kiamagic.com.
- Ramsey Dukes From the UK, Ramsey Dukes is a versatile Magician and a really funny guy
- Jan Fries A sorcerer residing in Germany who studies the Magick of our ancestors
- Kenneth Grant Outer head of the Typhonian OTO.
- Sir Ralph Harvey. Sussex. Traditional Witch of the Old Ways, one the UK foremost Wiccans, founder and High Priest of the Order of Artemis, established in the 1950s, after the repeal of the Witchcraft Act. The Order has today in excess of 100 covens worldwide.
- Audrey Harvey High Priestess of the Old Ways. Priestess of Isis.
- Nathaniel Harris A Witch from the UK, who comes from a family of Hereditary Witches. Author of Witcha, A Book of Cunning.
- Jaq D Hawkins Our First Lady of Chaos Magic, a Sorcerer from the UK
- Frater Sar Kaotec A Dionysian Sorceror, Neo-Enochian Witch, Anarcho-Hermeticist, and Neo-Templar Illuminist.
- Mogg Morgan Studies Thelema, Tantra, Seth and the Left Hand Path; a magician from the UK
- Maxine Sanders, Priestess of the High Mysteries. Was the magical parnter of Alex Sanders
- Ray Sherwin One of the OCMs (Orginal Chaos Magicians) from the UK, helped start up the IOT
Many have passed before us on the magical quest. Indeed, we can expect the magicians listed in the former section to eventually graduate to this list. So far they include:
- Alice Bailey
- Helena Blavatsky
- William Blake
- Jack Parsons
- Aleister Crowley Author of countless books on magic which he spelled Magick. Founder of Thelema.
- Doctor John Dee
- Julia the Wicce of Brandon
- Dion Fortune
- Nicholas & Pernelle Flamel
- Gerald Gardner The founder of the Wicca religion. More recently called Gardnerian Wicca to distinguish it from more recent forms.
- Edward Kelly Magician, Alchemist and Necromantic Sorceror. Possibly the true creator of Enochian Magic.
- Arthur Machen
- Albertus Magnus
- Sir Isaac Newton
- George Pickinghill
- Eliphas Levi
- Alex Sanders A witch and sorcerer from the UK who founded Alexandrian Wicca
- Austin Osman Spare An artist (perhaps the UK's finest draftsman) and writer who created his own sorcery system, the Zos Kia Cultus.
- Hermes Trismegistus Considered by Hermetic Alchemists to be the founder of their movement.
- Doreen Valiente
- La Voisin
- Arthur Edward Waite
- Sir Walter Raleigh
- Adam Weisshaupt Founder of the Ancient and Illuminated Seers of Bavaria. Often refered to as the Illuminati.
- Cecil Williamson
- Joan Wytte